Powered by Blogger.

Salt Lake Temple Picture

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

5 Year Old Reader


Something that happened today impressed me so much that I wanted to share it with everyone that decides to read my blog...which is not many!

Today during centers one of my students was eyeing my Dr. Seuss books and so I walked over and told him, "you can read those". I didn't think he really would, but lo and behold when I looked over he was sitting next to my blue chair reading a book. I didn't think much of it at the time because at this age (5-6) they usually just look through the pages finding words they recognize. So I went back to my assessments.

After about 3 students I looked over and my aid was standing by him listening to him and I got even more interested than before in what he was doing. I took a closer look and heard him reading sentences. I almost started crying (I don't know why, but I have been emotional since Sunday morning). It was the greatest thing I had seen in a long time...it was actually BEAUTIFUL!!!

When it was time to clean up I walked over to him and he had THE BIGGEST SMILE on his face! He couldn't wait to tell me what he had just done and I could not only see his excitment...I could definitely hear it in his sweet little voice! I couldn't hold in my excitement I had to announce to the class what he did. I had to work so hard not to just grab him and give him a huge hug...so I settled for a "High 10"! I was seriously shaking with excitement and happiness!

To sweeten the deal I (in my total excitement) told him he could take one of my precious Dr. Seuss books home with him to read to his family! He was now even more excited! What a great way to begin the ending of the day!

I am still in awe at what this student did, I mean he is only 5 years old and I know that at my school there are many students that are in 2nd grade or even 6th grade that can't read this book and he did it all on his own. I mean I read about 4 pages last week...but it has been about 5 days since I read it and picked it up and was reading it on his own. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I am so pleased with him, his reading, and his progress! He was reading should and would with NO help! When I opened the book to a random page he read those sentences with no help AT ALL! When he got stuck on the word would, he looked back at the previous page where he had seen it before and was doing a quick read to figure out what the word was. He used a skill I hadn't taught him...I am near tears just thinking about this! I am so ready to keep pushing him in the right direction so he will keep up the motivation and successes! WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Honestly this story is why I teach...and continue to teach regardless of the things going on in my life (at home and at work). He proved to me that I am making a difference in my students lives and that I am a good teacher. I lose sight of that often and I am torn down constantly by so many....but it is the kids that totally change those negative things in my life! I also know that there are other powers out there rooting me on and to them I am eternally grateful! That includes my family! Love ya guys!

Happy reading!
AHHHHHHHHHHHH, I still am totally loving it!

2 comments:

  1. It's no wonder you and my sister are besties- you remind me so much of her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoot! Whoot! Go Sara! I'm seriously so impressed with your abilities. There's a reason why some people are teachers and others (cough...cough...me) are not.

    ReplyDelete