Powered by Blogger.

Salt Lake Temple Picture

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Gooey Goodness!

Some people call these Chess Squares, others have a different name. I'm not sure what to call them but I tried making them after I found the post about them on KevinandAmanda.com. Here's look and probably taste better than these.
It says to use a yellow cake mix, I didn't use that! I used a chocholate cake mix and tried to make it my favorite color...RED! Well, it didn't work! BLAST!

If you want to try them they are pretty easy to do and I bet yours will be better than mine! I will be making them again so that I can have them for Valentine's...or Single Awareness Day!


Here is what you'll need. As you can see if you checked out the link to Amanda's site she used a yellow cake mix. I wanted to try chocolate. Not sure if I like it though!


Mix the cake mix, one egg, and melted butter together.


Now that you have the dough, press it into the bottom of the 9X13 inch pan. Mine is swirly, because I added the red food coloring after I had it mixed...it is kind of cool, aye?!


Now it's time to make the topping! Mix the powder sugar, 2 eggs, and cream cheese (softened). I don't have a Kitchen Aid....and you have no idea how BADLY I want one...seriously you don't! It is a HUGE dream of mine to have one...I'm a dork!
I forgot to read this next part....but make sure you mix it with either a hand mixer you the great Kitchen Aid for about 3 minutes. I think that will make a HUGE difference in the topping. That might be why mine didn't work as it should have!


Pour and spread it evenly over the dough. Mmmmmmmm, it looks so yummy! I mean HeLLo! It has cream cheese in it! YUMMY!


Put it in the oven at 300 degrees for 40-50 minutes. When you take it out it should be golden brown on top. Or golden red if you do it like mine.
Now here is where it got tricky for me. When I tested it with a fork, the topping/cream cheese mixture was still gooey and I wasn't sure if that is what it should be like. I put it in for a little while longer. If you know anything about it please let me know if it should be runny/gooey or fimly baked and a fork when inserted come out clean!?!


The kitchen in which I am cooking/baking is painted YELLOW. Not the best background for pictures. It changes the colors of things and adds a weird hue to things. Sorry, it does effect things that way! So they don't look the best...but oh do they taste pretty good! I would suggest waiting until they have cooled down before eating...I burnt my tongue and I couldn't properly taste it after that! Whoops!

Enjoy and I hope you try them and that they taste great! I will be doing them again...this time I will do them differently! I think I'll do them with a yellow cake mix this time;)

Happy Baking and Happy Valentine's Day!

Here's the recipe:

Chess Squares

1 box yellow cake mix
3 eggs
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
4 cups (1 lb) powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 300 and spray a 9×13 dish with cooking spray. Mix cake mix, melted butter and one egg to a soft dough. Press into the bottom of the pan. Mix powdered sugar, softened cream cheese and remaining two eggs until smooth, about 1-2 mins. Pour on top of crust. Bake at 300 for 40-50 minutes until top is golden brown.


I love comments...please leave some!

4 comments:

  1. Ok I am sooo glad you shared this today! I am going to make them in place of Jocelyn's birthday cake, I will try red velvet cake mix, mmmm I am excited already!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! BTW, I'm hosting an awesome giveaway on my blog. Wonderful people like you who are already followers just need to leave a comment to enter. Good luck!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing. I'm so impressed with your skills, missy! Always making such incredible and yummy things. Man! I need to get my butt in gear and try some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sara! Wow this looks delicious. I just wanted to respond to the comment you made on my blog. I am a kindergarten teacher and love it soooo. As for the flowers, I might be posting directions. We'll see ;o) I like your blog and I'm now a follower!

    ReplyDelete